Friday, May 23, 2014

dansk 3

I can count to one hundred now (if you give me 20 minutes) and tell time, so the Danish is coming, slowly. I've finished my first week of classes and so far I've really loved it. There are students from all over the place, from Brazil to Afghanistan to Lithuania. Most everyone in my class is there because they married a Dane or else their spouse got a job here, so the government is paying for their language lessons. When I explain that I am here for the summer just to study Danish, they think I'm crazy.

I take the train into the city each day from the village where I live. The family I live with is letting me use a bike while I'm here to get to the station, and my favorite part of the day is riding home. The train rocks me right to sleep (every day, without fail), so it's nice to have some time on the bike to get refreshed and clear my head. Plus we've had some really gorgeous weather this week which makes it very pleasant to be outside.

Copenhagen is a really cool city and super accessible. I love walking, so this week after lessons I've been cruising around exploring different areas. I've found some nice parks to eat lunch in, and I also discovered my favorite place so far: the library. It has a nice quiet garden on one side where you can sit in the shadow of Kierkegaard and his hair, and on the other side is a canal and they have some comfy chairs you can sit and read in while you take in the sun. Inside is nice too, but it's been such great weather that I never want to be inside. Today I also walked past Tivoli (the world's oldest theme park, I think...I might have made that up) and saw my dude Hans Christian Andersen.

I live with a very sweet family and they are very good to me. We have girl talk and they make me count in Danish for them and we get along great.

 H.C. Andersen

 This is library garden where I like to eat lunch

 Here's the brick side of the library
(Side note: when it's hot everyone just takes off their clothes and sunbathes. Check the dude on the right)

Kierkegaard in all his glory. Actually if I was a statue I'd want to be in his spot.



No comments:

Post a Comment