Tuesday, June 10, 2014

dansk 6

It's been nearly month since I arrived in Denmark, which is just wild to me. In many ways it feels like I just got here, but another part of me feels like I've lived here forever. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the family I live with. I have found some kindred spirits in each of them. This country is beginning to take a piece of my heart as well. The culture, the landscape, the language. They are all sinking into me and becoming part of me. 

Today was lovely in many ways and historic in one way. The weather was gorgeous and the train had no delays, so really, I could stop there. After class I decided to wander over to Vor Frue Kirke, home to Thorvaldsen's Christus and his statues of the twelve apostles. But first I had to eat lunch, and (here's the historic part) I bought food from a bakery in Danish. The guy I order from was laughing the whole time, but he was also very patient with me as I butchered his mother tongue. One of my favorite things about my day is finding a quiet place to eat lunch, and I ate my hard earned bolle on a bench outside a little brick church down the street from Vor Frue Kirke. 

Before I entered, I was lamenting that Vor Frue isn't more beautiful on the outside. But when I entered it was so clean and bright and there was such a powerful spirit there that I couldn't imagine a more lovely building. It is simple inside, with white walls and a stone floor. Six apostles flank either wall and the magnificent sculpture of Christ stands at the front of the chapel with hands outstretched to beckon you forward.

Some years ago, President Packer, one of the current apostles, recounted a story about Spencer W. Kimball, a former president of the LDS Church, visiting the church and bearing his testimony of the restored gospel to the church custodian. You can read his address here. That story is close to my heart because my grandfather was also present and he has told our family about that experience. I liked to be there and think of my grandfather standing in the same place so many years ago and feeling the same spirit that I felt today.

Christus


Peter with keys of the priesthood

The apostle Paul

Here are some photos from the last couple of weeks. I've been too lazy to post, but these are some highlights.

The family let me join in on their summer tradition of giant ice cream cones in Roskilde.

And that's when I was introduced to guf, my long lost marshmallowy love (the pink stuff).
PS, did you know in Danish there is a word just to explain that you are craving sweets? I felt closer to my Danish ancestors when I found that out.

This place that I live, you guys.

Seriously, this is my daily running route

My running times are really slow because I'm always stopping to take pictures (also just because I run slowly).

Oh, and this is Noah, the little brother I never had.

He used to call me "pige" which means girl, but now he calls me "vores pige" which means our girl. Melt my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment